Start Date: March 1, 2012
Description of Position:
Under the general guidance of the Associate Director, Facilities & Capital Planning, this position administers various College programs to ensure a safe and secure learning and work environment for students, faculties, staff, and visitors at the College. This position manages the following College programs: campus security, emergency planning, risk management, and occupational health and safety. The Manager ensures compliance with applicable legislated requirements and College policies and procedures.
Education, Training & Experience
- Related Bachelor’s degree OR four years of cumulative specialized training and education in security and emergency management, public safety, business administration, leadership and management. Preference given to candidates with diverse combination of formal education/specialized training in areas of public safety and security.
- Over six (6) years of progressively senior roles in public safety and security management, emergency planning, and occupational health & safety. Preference given to candidates with expertise in public safety and security management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of risk management principles, practices, and regulations.
- Knowledge of security, fire protection, occupational health and safety, Work Safe B.C. regulations and loss prevention.
- Experience in conducting security investigations, gathering and documenting evidence.
- Knowledge of current legislation and public policy at the Federal and Provincial level with regard to FOIPOP, PIPEDA and PIPA.
- Knowledge of emergency planning, preferably in a post-secondary institution.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, and work under pressure.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to manage, supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Ability to supervise contractors.
- Ability to use tact and discretion to deal with or settle complex requests or complaints.
- Must be a proactive, well-organized, energetic team player.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious relationships at all levels, both within and outside the organization including students and employees.
- Ability to respond and manage potentially violent, dangerous, hazardous, or emergency situations.
- Ability to conduct thorough investigations regarding security issues.
- Ability to appropriately deal with complainants involving safety and security concerns which requires sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Ability to conduct worksite inspections and/or identify hazards and recommend or implement corrective safety measures.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge in new or existing standards, regulations and laws relevant to occupational health & safety.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including: word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), database management (MS Access), e-mail, and Internet navigation.
Salary Range: $63,493 – $79,366(Pay Grade N) (Under Review)
Employee Group: Administrator
Application Information: For a copy of the job description and to apply, please visit our website at www.langara.bc.ca and select “Employment Opportunities“.
Closing Date: January 27, 2012
Competition No.: A002-12
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those short listed will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.