The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) recently announced its program for their national health and safety conference, CCOHS’ Forum IV: Better Together, to be held October 29 to 30, 2012, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The Forum brings together subject experts, workers, employers, and government representatives to share their collective knowledge and experience around the issues of mental health in the workplace, harassment and bullying, healthy workplaces, and the impact of psychosocial work factors on musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs).
“There is growing evidence that today’s workplaces are struggling with new challenges – psychological health and safety – that include mental health, harassment and bullying. We believe that workplace participants from across Canada want to have an opportunity to explore, understand and discuss these issues fully,” said Steve Horvath, President and CEO at CCOHS.
The Forum IV program features expert presenters; tripartite panel discussions; interactive workshops, networking opportunities; simultaneous French language interpretation and professional certification maintenance points.
The program includes the following presentations:
- The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander: Breaking the Cycle of Violence in the Workplace – Barbara Coloroso, international bestselling author.
- Are Psychosocial Factors Risk Factors for Musculoskeletal Symptoms and Disorders? – Birgitte Blatter, Business Line Manager of ‘Healthy, Vital and Safe Work’ at TNO in the Netherlands.
- How Healthy is Your Workplace When it Comes to Mental Health? – Donna Hardaker, Mental Health Works Specialist, Canadian Mental Health Association York Region Branch.
- Bullying at Work: Overcoming Organizational Resistance – Dr. Gary Namie, social psychologist and widely regarded as one of North America’s foremost authorities on workplace bullying.
- Towards a healthy workplace: Some new thinking about psychosocial issues at work – Kevin Kelloway, Canada Research Chair in Occupational Health Psychology at Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Psychological Health and Safety: An Action Guide for Employers – Merv Gilbert, principal partner at Gilbert Acton Ltd., and Dan Bilsker, Psychologist, Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health & Addiction (Simon Fraser University).
Participants registering on or before July 31, 2012 are eligible for early bird pricing. More information about the program and registration including, early registration, group and student discounts is available at www.ccohs.ca/events/forumIV.
For Further Information, Contact:
The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), a Canadian federal government agency based in Hamilton, Ontario is Canada’s national resource for the advancement of workplace health and safety. CCOHS promotes the total well-being – physical, psychosocial and mental health – of working Canadians by providing information, training, education, management systems and solutions that support health and safety programs and the prevention of injury and illness. CCOHS partners and collaborates with agencies and organizations from Canada and around the world to improve the quality and quantity of resources and programs, as well as expand the breadth of usage of occupational health information to many different segments of society.
Source: Canada News Centre